The Sky Report has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://theskyreport.com
and update your bookmarks. To view the post you came here for, simply search the artist name in the sidebar at the new site!

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

BEIRUT and FINAL FANTASY @ Bowery Ballroom


A few hours after the YYY's debacle, I headed over to the Bowery Ballroom for night two of the BEIRUT/FINAL FANTASY extravaganza.

WOW! I can honestly say that this was one of the very best shows I've been to in quite some time. I was actually kinda thinking this would be a show leaning more towards the boring side. I couldn't have been more wrong.

The lovely Owen Pallett got things started under his moniker of FINAL FANTASY. Playing solo with his violin and occasionally on keyboard (though he was accompanied by a very entertaining live projectionist), Owen quickly had the crowd transfixed by his bizarre, yet completely engaging performance. Members of BEIRUT came out and joined Owen for the encore, teasing the audience with a taste of what was to follow.

Later, Zach Condon and his brass and strings entourage took to the stage for the opening number 'Postcards From Italy'. The BEIRUT show may have gotten off to a rather quiet start, but by mid-set they had the crowd worked into a sort of frenzy. Condon seemed visibly drunk, but his performance got better and better as he went. For the triumphant encore, the entire band (including members of ARCADE FIRE, who hot-tailed it downtown following their own headlining show) descended into the crowd, playing from the floor.

It has been a long time since a performance had me laughing out loud because I was having such a great time. I even threw my hands up in the air at one point, feeling the celebration that is BEIRUT flying out of me. I'm a geek for great music I guess.

Here's some photographic evidence of the great time that was had by all.

P.S. Many thanks to the folks at Urge for presenting an amazing night of music. Word is they are releasing an exclusive live EP of Beirut's Bowery Ballroom shows.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

TOTALLY AGREE. I almost cried the performance was so amazing, not to mention I had been waiting ages to see beirut