The Sky Report has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://theskyreport.com
and update your bookmarks. To view the post you came here for, simply search the artist name in the sidebar at the new site!

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

SXSW - Day 1
Wavves, Vivian Girls, Pains of Being Pure at Heart, and more

-Wavves

The first official day of SXSW was loaded with wonderful performances all over the place. I spent the daylight hours at the Forcefield/Terrorbird blow out at Red 7 and caught a really brief, but awesome set by Wavves. Backed with just a drummer, he lived up to the hype machine surrounding his new album. I was also really taken with his jovial stage presence and his frequent use of the word "psych".



The band Lake were a new discovery for me. Their adorable indie pop was perfectly suited to the early time slot on the outdoor stage. I also really enjoyed the Swiss electronic duo Larytta, as well as Shout Out Out Out Out, and Rainbow Arabia.

-Vivian Girls

A pair of Brooklyn darlings closed out the outdoor stage - The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, followed by Vivian Girls. Both bands sounded really great live, particularly Pains..., who kicked off their set with the potent 1-2-punch of "This Love is Fucking Right" and "Young Adult Friction".

The Thermals really blew my mind. I'm not very familiar with their catalog of music, but their set was ferocious and captivating - short punk songs that nearly smashed into each other. I loved it!

Loney Dear and Fol Chen also played and sounded good, but their music isn't really my cup of tea.

-The Pains of Being Pure at Heart

Beach House closed out the indoor stage, but it got so hot and crowded I only lasted about half a song. Their moody, dreamgaze sound would have put me into a heat coma and then bad things could have happened. Better safe than sorry!

No comments: