The Sky Report has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://theskyreport.com
and update your bookmarks. To view the post you came here for, simply search the artist name in the sidebar at the new site!

Monday, July 09, 2007

CAT POWER @ McCarren Park Pool


Despite plenty of mixed feelings about CAT POWER's performance at McCarren Pool on Saturday, I felt she was rather mesmerizing to watch. Chan had loads of energy (by Cat Power standards anyway) and she sounded really good. I would agree with others who suggest she was under the influence, though having never seen her live before, it could also come down to her infamous nervous energy when onstage. Loaded or not, she was fantastic.


The set was comprised mostly of covers, which makes sense as her forthcoming album is rumoured to be called "The Covers Record 2". Chan opened the show with a cover of 'Don't Explain', followed by a very unique version of 'New York, New York'. Other tracks in the setlist included a rockin' version of '(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction', 'Naked If I Want To', as well as a pair of songs from her most recent album 'Willie' and 'Could We'.


And was it just me or did Chan seem to have a particularly intense connection with the keyboard player? She seemed to be singing every song directly to him.


Unfortunately I missed BUILT TO SPILL and BOB MOULD, who bookended the Cat Power set, but I heard Built to Spill were amazing.


This was also the first show I've seen at McCarren Pool and I highly suggest catching one of the many shows there over the summer. Check out the schedule here.


All photos by Scot Bowman

No comments: