The Sky Report has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://theskyreport.com
and update your bookmarks. To view the post you came here for, simply search the artist name in the sidebar at the new site!

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

JOSE GONZALEZ Played Webster Hall


Jose Gonzalez turned in a gorgeous performance at Webster Hall on Sunday night. The packed house was thoroughly engaged. When Jose took the stage and played a quiet instrumental intro, the crowd hushed itself, bringing total silence to the hall. The entire performance was deeply stirring, sounding as good, if not better than the records. It was a magical show.

The performance clocked in at just over an hour, but he filled it nicely. Jose touched heavily on his latest album "In Our Nature" with stirring versions of the title track as well as 'Killing For Love' and 'Down the Line'. Definite highlights from the set included his stellar covers of The Knife's 'Heartbeats', Massive Attack's 'Tear Drop', and my personal favorite, Kylie Minogue's 'Hand on My Heart'. Amazingly though, he boldly avoided 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' despite the hungry requests of the crowd.


Jose didn't talk much, but he did manage to sneak in a funny story while tuning his guitar. It went something to the effect of this:

"I was walking down the street and I found a bullet. I put it in my [shirt] pocket. Then later I saw an evangelical and he threw his Bible at me. It almost hit my heart. But the bullet was in the way."




-All photos by Scot Bowman, Tatiana Devere

No comments: